Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Thursday, 14 July 2011

Now in ICU

I feel far too tired at the moment to even go into the problems we've been having with lack of communication, lack of medical care and the hospital acting against suggested clinical guidelines with respect to my father in law's care. When Andy went to the hospital last night he made it clear that we knew they were breaking guidelines and that we were looking for answers as to why. When Andy came home last night we were all concerned that the ward staff hadn't noticed that his dad had deteriorated and didn't really seem to be doing much. We were all frustrated and angry at the way he was being treated. The original plan was for Andy and I to meet the doctors on Friday afternoon and find out what was going on. Anyway, his dad had other ideas, as we were about to find out.

We got THE phone call at 10am this morning - the one where you're told to dash to the hospital. Not good news this morning as Andy's dad had deteriorated a lot overnight and was now unresponsive. The hospital where he was at were transferring him to a hospital which had better facilities so we were told to go straight to the new hospital.

When we got there he doctor spoke to us as soon as our feet landed on the ward. We explained our issues with the previous hospital and asked him to be honest...good or bad news we just wanted answers. And then we pulled out the "nurse card". Normally I don't use it because I remember how intimidating it used to be when I was looking after doctors and nurses. But what I was really meaning was "don't pull the wool over our eyes or treat us like idiots because I understand every word you're saying".

After that things seemed to happen really quickly, he got the brain scan that he needed (which confirmed a brain infarct - stroke) and the doctors quickly got a plan together.  I asked them to add chest physio to his treatment plan (and oh boy did he sound BETTER after it!) and asked them to start him on IV fluids because he's not drunk in well over 24 hours. Sure enough they sorted it out, much to our relief.

He was later transferred to ICU - although I think he was actually looking a little better by that point. However he is still very, very sick and we're not sure which way things are going to go. The general consensus at this point is that he had a stroke and aspirated, giving him aspiration pneumonia and septicaemia. He's got a long way to go and it breaks my heart to see this active, independent man lying so helpless in ICU.

So, tonight I'll be praying for God to continue to guide the doctors towards the right treatment. I have confidence that the doctors are doing everything they can (no thanks to the previous hospital) and so now we wait.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers x


Mamaws Place said...

Bless your heart. I'll continue to pray for your father-in-law. The family is blessed to have you to be able to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Adori Graphics said...

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. I must admit that I wonder what would have happened if we hadn't been so vocal. My only regret is that we didn't push this even further last night. Here's praying that he pulls through - he a stubborn man and if anyone can he can :)

Bethany said...

You are in my prayers as well as your families! A couple of months ago my youngest son and I went to see my grandmother who had aspirating phemonia and deteriorated quickly I got there on tuesday night and Thursday morning she passed away. So I totally know what you are going through. My cousin came in the same time I did and is a trainer to the nurses at his hospital and kicked the nurses butts when he got there she had already gotten bed sores and everything. So I am here for you if you need anything I know we are worlds away. But I am here! Good luck and wishing speedy recovery for him.

Adori Graphics said...

Thanks Bethany. I'm sorry to hear about your mum (MIL?) - it's horrible isn't it. I'm just irked that it came to this really because we shouldn't need to kick butt. This makes me realise though what great care we gave where I worked! We actually listened to the families of our patients and we weren't scared of bugging the doctors if we felt something was wrong.

Deb said...

You go, Girl...if I'm ever sick, I know who I want on my team!!! Still remembering all of you in my thoughts and prayers!!! Please know you have a friend "across the waters"!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow! Great way to stand up for what he needed. Having been through a couple of hospital situations with my mom, I have come to realize that advocating on behalf of the patient is so important. It's awesome that you know what to ask for and how to make sure that happens. (I ask my husband to "use your paramedic voice please!") Continued prayers and wishes to you and Andy

Adori Graphics said...

Thanks you two xxx

I just wish we didn't have to advocate so strongly on his behalf really, but I think we have now reached an understanding and I feel quite confident (that whatever the outcome) they are doing everything they can.

Post a Comment