Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Anyone want a trip to the Urban Beach?

Now this seems a strange concept to me - given that nowhere in the UK is more than 75 miles from the coast. Its called the Urban Beach and apparently the first one was created in Paris in 2002 - and since then they have been springing up around the UK....with Edinburgh, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast and Bristol all sporting one.

The concept is basically that the town ship in hundreds of tons of sand and make a beach - seeminlgly anywhere. At a new one in Nottingham, they're building it in the main square in town apparently. Has anyone ever heard of urban beaches or even been to one?

I wonder in the future if I might hear somebody say they're off to the beach in Leeds or Manchester. Now that would seem odd.

You can find out more about this curious phenomenon here.

7 comments:

MadeInCanarias said...

I have heard about the Paris one and I think they have something like that in Germany (don't remember the city) also. It's strange, but maybe it's good for the people who live far away from the beach :D
I have been living always near the lake and now near the sea, so I have never needed an urban beach.
But is it really a beach, when there is no water near? :D Maybe it's better to call it a sandbox :P

Ashley said...

that is weird never heard of it!!

Ashley said...

thats weird i have never heard of that before??

Ashley said...

oops i didnt mean to submit it 2xs... LOl.. crazy me!!

My Diabetic Sweet Life said...

LOL @ Ashley

I see your point Ave - for me it would need at least a pool or something!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you did since you fit my niche perfectly. Happy to follow you back.

My Diabetic Sweet Life said...

Oh I loved your blog! I thought it was waaaay cool :)

Post a Comment