Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Sunday 17 April 2011

Garden fun!

Today was a fun day, it was our annual seeding of the patio planters LOL. I don't know about you but I love fresh salad veggies and I just adore proper home grown foods. Sadly I don't seem to have had much look growing my own veggies since we moved here a few years ago. One year we had too much rain, the next year too much wind and the year after a white fly infestation. I'm hoping for fourth time lucky!

So I bought these 2 cute planters for the patio and I've filled one with stripey tomatoes (tiger tomatoes), golden pearl tomatoes and marmande tomoatoes. The other one I've filled with little gem lettuce and mixed chilli peppers. This is about the sixth year I've grown chillies and only 1 year were they successful...not a great track record, but I'm optimistic that this year will give me a good crop. Wouldn't it be great if we got so many we could feed the neighbours too? I won't hold my breath for that one perhaps :)
new planter
I've also bought a chilli pepper plant too, so that I can have fresh chillies while I'm waiting for my new ones to grow. Just look at those juicy fruits!
I'm not sure you can see the tiny white flower on there, but those flowers eventually die and then the chilli grows from the centre of the flower. Good eh?
I also got some herbs for the kitchen and these cute delicate flowers for the wall along the front of the garden. I just hope the neighbourhood kids don't pull all the flower heads off!
 Oh and look, I even made a new friend :)
So there you go, this explains my absence in blog land today. I'll keep you updated with my veggie progress :)

2 comments:

Amanda @ Amanda & Millie said...

Great start! Went and checked on my seeds today and they've started sprouting so hopefully in a few weeks we'll be picking homegrown salad leaves with visible shoots for the carrots, broccoli, courgettes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, pak choi, beans...
The first of the rhubarb is ready to pick so I'm planning on homemade rhubarb crumble one evening:)
Now I just need to plant the potatoes, tomatoes, peas... Oh and to remember to make sure the chickens can't get to the veg patches when they are free ranging;)
Crossing my fingers that you have a good crop this year.

My Diabetic Sweet Life said...

Sounds like you'll barely need to go near a supermarket LOL. I'm hoping to increase my repertoire next year...but first I need to perfect those chillies!

Post a Comment